Tuesday, April 5, 2011

"I don't want to live in a Rape Culture"

So this past Sunday April 3rd,  Kels and I participated in Slut Walk Toronto.



Slut Walk Toronto was organized partly in response to Toronto police officer Michael Sangunietti's fucked up comment about how if girls don't want to be raped, we should avoid dressing like sluts and partly in protest to victim-blaming and slut-shaming which is so evident in our justice system, the media, HELL...just life in general. This idea that a woman deserved to be raped/sexually assaulted or "was asking for it" is so fucking detrimental for SO many reasons, I don't even know where to begin.

This was my first political protest and I gotta say, it was absolutely awesome. Kels and I were blown away by how many people came out to the walk. I can't really put into words how it felt to see thousands of people walking down College Street towards Toronto Police headquarters - stopping cars, buses, and people in their tracks. I guess I sorta felt this "I am not alone" type of feeling. As a feminist, you go through moments of "Why doesn't anyone understand?!" and this coming together of people of all ages, sizes, races, sexes, etc. made me feel more at home than I sometimes do at places I go to every goddamn day.

I heard a lot of criticism about using the word "Slut" to promote a campaign/protest involving women's rights. However, I think it is a reclamation  of the word that is used to judge a woman regardless of our appearance or behaviour. The point is that we are ALL labeled "sluts" - doesn't matter if we are wearing fishnets or sweatpants, high heels or combat boots, bra or turtleneck sweater.

Upon arriving at police headquarters, speeches were made. While not every single word was heard over the cheering crowd, the message was clear: women are in no way responsible for their own rape or sexual assault. It doesn't matter what they were wearing,  what time it was, the number of sexual partners they've had, how much they've had to drink, where they were at the time - NOTHING. No one is deserving of that shit.  EVER. Period. 

Why is it that we are teaching "how not to be raped" instead of "how not to rape"?? Doesn't make a whole lotta sense.

The issue had with Toronto Police is that: only 6% of sexual assaults are reported. SIX FUCKING PERCENT. With the victim-blaming attitudes and lack of proper training in response to sexual assault victims clearly evident within our justice system, it is no wonder that women don't feel safe reporting assault and rape to the police. The fear of interrogation and of no one believing their story is the reason why this percentage is so low.

This needs to change. Society needs to stop reinforcing and further perpetuating the "slut" myth. This also coincides with the notion of enthusiastic consent: "no" means NO. If an individual is not able to say no - that is still a giant fucking NO. Even if someone has consented to having sex, that person has the right to change their mind. Consent is an ongoing conversation throughout the entire sexual act. If a person says "no" or "stop" or ANYTHING that indicates that they no longer wish to be involved in the act and they are ignored? That is rape.

A few of the chants heard from the crowd on Sunday:

"Whatever we wear, where ever we go - yes means yes, and no means no."

"Hey hey! Ho Ho! Patriarchy has got to go!"

"A dress is NOT a yes".

Also, a woman approached Kels and I after the walk was over and told us that she had been watching us as we walked, holding our signs. She said that our calm yet confident demeanor stood out and that that is the kind of attitude needed for a cause like this. She said we had inspired her and thanked us.

Rock on! It made my day that much better and made me realize that if I can inspire someone simply by believing in something and holding a sign/showing my support - then the possibilities for change are endless.

No comments:

Post a Comment