Friday, September 17, 2010

The Price to Pay for Smooth Legs

I was on the subway about 2 weeks ago. I was sitting next to an elderly couple - man and woman - who were both staring at one of the many advertisements that the TTC posts in their subway cars. The ad was for Bic Soleil razors:



The elderly couple sitting next to me began discussing the ad. They questioned what the image had to do with the product that was being sold. Yes, they understood the legs and that razors are used on legs but...what did a 1950s style woman grocery shopping and buying cakes have to do with selling razors? They were stumped by this. They turned to me and asked, "Do you get it?". I let out a laugh and shook my head. "I don't get a lot of advertising these days" I replied.

While it warmed my heart to see this elderly couple discussing such a topic on the subway and that someone out there other than me was confused about this ad and openly questioning/discussing it....the ad is still there. People see it everyday and don't discuss or question it. They just take it in and allow it to get into their heads - convincing them that this is normal and this is how all women are or should be. 

Bic is actually "beckoning" us back to the 1950s - a time where women had very few rights or roles in society. The 50s was an era where women fought for equality at home and in the workplace. This is the era where the stereotype of the housewife was created and flourished! I get it - the 50s and 60s is a fad these days thanks to popular shows like Mad Men. But should we really be setting ourselves back after how far we've come over the past 50 years?

Not to mention that this is an incredibly idealized image of a woman. Yes, it is a cartoon version of a woman (which perhaps is what disguises the ad as "cutesy" with that  sort of "wink and nudge" humour that makes it seem less offensive than it is). But it is still an idealized one nonetheless. As soon as I saw it, it reminded me of that study about Barbie (the popular doll that millions of little girls own and play with growing up - hell, I know I did). If Barbie were a real person, her body would not be able to function properly nor would she be able to stand. Her weight and measurements would be so off kilter that she could not survive. That is what I think of when I see this Bic ad. The woman's legs are so disproportionate from the rest of her body. I find that most forms of media do something to the female figure that, outside of this context, would be considered absolutely ridiculous and brutal: dismemberment. Through the male gaze, the female body is dismembered into pieces (body parts). Dismemberment is an extremely violent act but we do this all the time to women in ads (figuratively speaking). You will see a shot of a woman's legs cut to a shot of her breasts, then to her pelvic region, etc. Women are never shown as a whole being or realistically as a whole woman (body parts are emphasized or more in focus than others) . And when she is displayed as a whole being, it is made to seem like it's an accumulation of these body parts that make up who she is. By doing this, it places such an importance on physical characteristics which, in turn, makes real women feel inadequate to the women portrayed in media. Furthermore, this isn't just an idealized image of a woman because of her physical appearance - it is also idealized because she is a stereotypical "housewife". A hypersexualized one at that. What man wouldn't want a passive, compliant, sexual woman who does their laundry, cleans the house, goes out to buy groceries and cakes with her ass in the air while he is at work? Glorifying this type of image - this type of woman - leads to men wanting and desiring this type of woman. And hey, I'm not bashing the housewives out there. If it is your choice to stay home and take care of your  family then all the power to you. But don't feel like you have no choice or that your husband won't want you if you decide to do something with your life other than cleaning and cooking. And  if he doesn't? Well he can fuck right off. (Just my opinion).

The mere fact the the ad mentions the word "beckon" makes it appear that women are asking for, seeking, or desiring male attention and that we enjoy it. Or that we crave it. Or that the only reason we shave our legs in the first place (other than that we are culturally conditioned to do so) is for attention and acceptance from and by men. This leads me to my next point: Why is it that the ad seems to appeal to the male eye when it is a product made for and targeted towards women? The only answer that I can think of is that Bic is trying to shame us into buying their razors (and they aren't the first company to do this and they most definitely won't be the last). They use this ad to make us feel bad about our bodies, or our hairy ass legs, so that we will run out and buy a Bic Soleil razor to rid ourselves of our ugliness. Because, of course, the only way to make us feel shitty about ourselves is to make us feel that we are not worth male attention. And the only way to warm our spirits? Men desiring us! The best cure for a crushed ego, right?

Why is this the only image of "attractive" women that we ever see? It conditions us to reject difference while maintaining a standard of what is considered beautiful and what is not. I heard a quote the other day from Kels in a book she is reading that said "The only thing shameful to expose is ugliness". No wonder we are the way we are (ads and other forms of media objectifying women which then makes men think its okay to objectify women which leads women to objectify themselves and other women).

I was able to find an online forum (The Big Orange Slide) that directly asks people to post and comment on whether they think this particular Bic ad is sexist. 

Check it out. It's really interesting to read other people's opinions.

A few that I liked were:

Brook Johnston: "‘Sexist’ seems to sell when aimed at the opposite sex (see: Axe Deodorant, 90% of beer brands), but not so much when you’re mocking your own". 

Muffinczar: "It is sexist to assume that men were in the captain’s chair when navigating this campaign". 

Leilah Ambrose: "Would it be more patronizing if the same scene had been rendered photographically instead?". 

Jenni Sager: "I am glad I’m not the only one who finds this offensive. I literally JUST finished creating a publishing a petition against this advertising campaign. Please check it out if you feel the same.
I respect that some of you disagree but I am not particularly good at arguing a point (refuting what you who don’t agree with me are saying). I simply am offended by this poster, it’s my interpretation and I don’t think I am alone in feeling that way".

So, Bic..fuck off. And take your poorly thought out advertising campaign with you. That is the last thing I want to see during my commute to work.

2 comments:

  1. THANK-YOU! YOU ROCK! FAR BETTER SAID THAN I

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done, Dragon!
    It's like every time I look at this ad I hate it more and more... "Legs that beckon" - as in, "Hey, check it out - this woman is stereotypically perfect in every way and her ASS is in the AIR!! But it's her LEGS that are beckoning you!" Or maybe it's the connotation of "beckoning" being akin to "asking for it."

    ...Either way, this ad makes me vomit.

    In fact, while we're on the subject of 'crap we've seen in the subway,' I think I'm going to go post about some of the lovelies I've seen in the last few days. Way to be inspirational, room-friend!

    ReplyDelete